Frequently Asked Questions

Question 1: Do I need to create an account
Yes. Use the link below to create and account. If you already have an account, please log in using previous details.
Question 2: What is the difference between a Scholarship and a Bursary Award?
A scholarship is awarded to recognise outstanding academic ability or talent in sport or in the creative and performing arts. Scholars receive an annual grant to spend on enrichment in the field of their award, and join our Scholars Programme, which provides a range of opportunities designed to stretch and challenge them. A Bursary Award is a means-tested accolade, awarded on academic merit, to a child whose family income is a barrier to attending BGS. These awards can provide up to 100% support with school fees, plus help with other costs.
Question 3: Who can apply for a Bursary Award?
Who can apply? Bursary awards are available from Year 3 upwards. In the Junior School (Years 3–6), they are worth a maximum of 40% of fees. In the Senior School (Year 7 upwards) they can be worth up to 100% of fees.
Question 4: Do I qualify for a Bursary Award
Bursary Awards are for those who have a family income of less than £85,000. We recognise that each family’s circumstances are different, and not always straightforward. Our Finance team will be happy to offer advice and answer any questions you have before you apply.
Question 5: What information is needed?
Our Bursary Awards are all means-tested, so you'll need to provide details of the family income for all those with parental responsibility, details of any assets you hold such as property, investment properties and the associated mortgages and income generated. If you are unsure when completing your application, please ask the Finance Office for advice, we’re happy to help you.
Question 6: Will I definitely get a Bursary Award?
Awards are made based on the order of merit as set out by the admissions process. We look to support as many families as possible through our Bursary Award Program. Sadly we are not able to offer bursary awards to all who meet the criteria but are actively working towards our fundraising target and our aim of supporting one in four pupils with a Bursary Award of at least 50% by 2032.
Question 7: When should I apply for a Bursary Award?
You should submit your application as soon as is possible after submitting the application for your child to sit the entrance assessment. This should be received before the application deadlines: Juniors - 13 November, Year 7 - 2 January 2024 and Sixth Form - 21 November.
Question 8: Is it better to wait until I know my child has a place before I apply for a Bursary Award?
No, you must submit your Bursary Award application by the deadline as stated in our literature and in advance of any entry assessments. We always receive far more applications than funds available and these are all allocated in the main admissions sessions.
Question 9: I’ve submitted my Bursary Award application form, what happens next?
Your child will complete the entrance assessment process and your Bursary Award application will be considered alongside their application to join BGS. In some instances, the Bursar may wish to meet with you in your home to discuss your application. The Finance Office will be in touch if they need to arrange this. These meetings take place after any entrance assessments.
Question 10: When will I hear if my child has received a Bursary Award?
You will hear the outcome of your application when you receive the decision letter following the entrance assessment.
Question 11: Can my child receive both a scholarship and a Bursary Award?
Yes – a pupil can be awarded both a scholarship and a Bursary Award and you are welcome to apply for both for your child.
Question 12: Do I need to provide a court order or separation agreement as part of my application?
Divorced or separated parents can apply for a Bursary Award and if successful, the percentage awarded will be reflected in each termly invoice. It is then for the parents to agree between themselves as to how they discharge the balance of the fees payable based on their respective obligations under a Court Order. Where a court order or separation agreement exists, parents applying for assistance with school fees which are not covered by that order or agreement should enclose a copy of the appropriate document.
Question 13: Do School Fee Insurance Policies impact a Bursary Award application?
Where a parent has an insurance policy which is specifically for the payment of school fees, the amount payable under the policy for the academic year for which the application is being made should be declared. If the insurance policy covers the school fees in full then the pupil is not eligible for fee assistance. The types of policy concerned are those which stipulate that the company shall pay the school fees, in whole or in part, to the school in respect of the pupil. This does not apply to other types of savings’ plans, the benefits from which should be included in the calculation of relevant income.
Question 14: If my circumstances change will my Bursary Award be affected?
The School may provisionally assess eligibility for fee assistance on the basis of an estimate of income in the tax year which coincides with the academic year for which assistance is requested, where income in that year will be so much less than the previous year that financial hardship will result. In such circumstances, parents should provide full details of the change in circumstances and an estimate of the lower income expected. A current year assessment will be provisional, subject to confirmation of actual income. This information must be submitted at the end of the tax year in question. When an unforeseen change in family circumstances occurs after the submission of the Bursary application eg if a parent falls ill for a long period or is made redundant, parents should advise the School as soon as possible if it appears that a current year assessment may be appropriate. A change to marital status is not considered a valid reason for the School to consider a current year assessment. Once a current year assessment has been made, all subsequent assessments of relevant income will normally be made on the same basis.
Question 15: What documents are required to verify my income?
The following documentary evidence is required as verification of income and must be provided when requested by the school. If parents are in employment a copy of the P60 supplied by their employers at the end of the tax year, and a copy of their final pay advice for the tax year should be provided. If total pension contributions for the year are not shown on the P60 or pay advice (ie they show only gross taxable income, after deduction of pension contributions rather than total gross income) employer verification of pension contributions must be provided. In addition and if applicable, parents should submit a copy of their self-assessment return for the tax year concerned and, if shareholders in a private limited company, a copy of the company’s latest accounts and details of their shareholdings.
Question 16: What documents are required to verify my income if I am self-employed?
If a parent is self-employed, a copy of the self-assessment return, supporting accounts and HM Revenue & Customs statement confirming final taxable income should be provided. It is acknowledged that some or all of this information may not be available at the time the form FB2 is due to be submitted. In such cases, parents must submit as much information as is available at the time and confirm when the remaining information will be available. Submission of the remaining information must be dealt with as a matter of urgency. In addition, in the absence of any of the above information for the tax year concerned, the equivalent information for the previous tax year must be submitted by the required deadline. Awards made on a provisional basis will not be continued into the next school year unless all income has been verified. If the self-assessment return is submitted online, written confirmation of taxable income is not subsequently issued by HM Revenue & Customs. In such cases, a print of the return and the e-mail generated by HM Revenue and Customs to confirm receipt of the return should be submitted. Copies of annual self-assessment tax returns or forms P11D should be submitted as verification of benefits in kind from employment.